Thursday, September 11, 2014

Where were you?

I remember an episode of My So Called Life, that referenced how everyone's parents could tell you the exact place they were when they learned President Kennedy was assassinated. At the time of the teen drama's airing, our generation did not have a moment like that. A moment that shook the country into a collective state of shock and grief. 
And then on September 11, 2001, suddenly we did. 
I remember exactly where I was. I remember waking up and seeing the flames from the first crash billowing off the building from the wind. I remember the confusion, because there was a space in time that we did not know it was an attack. And then the second plane hit, live on the air. It was not an accident. The plane crashed through all of us, filling the nation with sorrow, anger and fear.
My then boyfriend (now ex husband) and I, huddled together that morning in our bed watching in horror. I begrudgingly dressed for work. I was afraid, and sad and paranoid about what would have the night before seemed silly. I was afraid to leave, not knowing if bombs were going to start falling. It was such a strange idea. This doesn't happen here! Not in my country! I kissed my boyfriend goodbye, worrying about not seeing him again.
My mother worked for the IRS in a federal building. I worried all morning until they sent her home early.
That day altered us, but something magical happened that day too. Suddenly, we united as a nation. Flags were everywhere!! People remembered how much we loved our country. It lasted over a year at least and is still revitalized on this day every, September 11th. It's not as strong. Hearing the song God Bless America doesn't bring people to tears like it did those first few months, but it still resonates. 
Our country is flawed but I will still stand up and say I'm proud to be American.

My heart and prayers go out to all the families that were and have been affected by that horrific attack. You will never be forgotten...

On this day, we will all remember the fallen, while we ask God to bless the USA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think. :)